Lucas is nearly 21 months and we still co-sleep and breastfeed during the night. I have been thinking about how we are going to transition from sharing a bed to going into his own. Psychologically, for me I can’t do it now, I would feel like I’m kicking him out of the nest in Winter so I am waiting until Spring. He will then be 2 and I will have hopefully weaned him of breastfeeding completely. This is how I am going to try, please do comment if you have been through the transition and have any tips. Also, check out Co-Sleeping Advice if you are looking at that x
- We spend time in his bedroom, reading stories on his bed.
- I have taken the cot sides off his toddler bed as Lucas acts as though a cot is prison. I am going to put a bedrail on to stop him rolling out of bed when he does sleep in there.
- I’ve got* a comfortable quilt to make Lucas feel relaxed. I chose the Babyface McKenzie Single Quilt which is a beautiful patchwork cover. It goes perfectly in his nautical themed room but is also great for snuggling up under on the sofa. Lucas has never had a comfort blanket or favourite toy so I am hoping using this quilt together for a couple of months will give him some security when he starts sleeping in his bed.
- Lucas has a baby monitor with a light show and music on, we have slept with the stars and music left on throughout the night since day one so this should hopefully ease the transition.
- I’m going to do it in stages, starting with his day time nap before moving on to night times.
- I am going to sleep in the bedroom with him on a blow up bed for the first week whilst he gets used to it.