Oftentimes during the holiday season, men’s gifts and big ticket items such as 4k televisions or gaming consoles are the first things that come to mind when considering a relatively large purchase. However, a men’s suit can make such a thoughtful and worthwhile gift to invest in.
What to Consider When Gifting a Suit
The first thing to consider is whether or not this gift will be a surprise. You may need to get his measurements unless you already know these.
The problem with purchasing a suit without knowing exact measurements is you may have an ill-fitting suit on Christmas morning.
What to Look For and What Is Important in a Quality Suit
If this will be the first suit in his wardrobe, choose a black or navy fabric – with or without pinstripes as per preference. Your purchased garment should be wool, or perhaps bamboo, some newer suits are using bamboo as a construction material that is quite breathable, rugged, and carries a nice finish. Polyester garments are less breathable but resistant to shrinkage and creasing.
Suit Style Trends
- Pinstripes are very much in style, as are suits in colours of brown, tan, or even white dinner jackets if you are going away for some winter sun.
- Suits with leather elbow patches and wide lapels, Harris Tweed and corduroy are all back into the limelight. Flaws can be seen as stylistic additions in this retro look.
- Flat front pants are very trendy at the moment; however, be advised that they are best for slimmer men. Pleats are a classic look and do not go out of style
- A straight hem is more stylish than cuffed suit pants, although this is still a matter of personal choice.
- You could also mix and match a suit with a paired jacket and waistcoat (think country tweed) with black smart trousers and a white shirt, with no tie or a cravat.
Keep these tips in mind and your purchase is much more likely to be a long-term investment, rather than a short and bitterly regretful decision!