Affordable Storage Solutions When You Have Too Many Items
It’s no secret that America has a problem with excess. The average American home contains 300,000 items, most of which are never used. And when we run out of room to store our excess items, we often turn to self-storage. Thankfully, there are cheap storage units available that can take care of the immediate problem of surplus items and even provide a long-term solution.
There are nearly 50,000 self-storage facilities in the United States. Moreover, in 2020, the global self-storage industry was valued at around $48 billion. But storing your excess stuff comes at a cost. The average 10×10 storage unit costs $120 per month. That’s $1,440 per year. And if you’re storing larger items, like a boat or an RV, the costs can be even higher.
So, what’s the solution to our excess stuff problem? Below are some affordable storage solutions for your excess items. Renting a storage unit, you will note, is one of these.
Sell your excess items
If you have excess items that you no longer need or want, sell them! There are several ways to do this, including online marketplaces, consignment shops, and garage sales. Not only will you get rid of your excess stuff, but you’ll also make some extra money in the process.
Online auction sites are proving popular and allowing those selling their items to receive the best possible price when items are offered to a global audience.
Donate your excess items
If you have excess items that you can’t sell, consider donating them to a local charity or thrift store. This is a great way to declutter your home and help those in need. If you have your preferred charity, then that would be a great place to donate the items.
Rent a storage unit
If you have excess items that you can’t sell or donate, renting a storage unit may be your best option. However, before you do this, be sure to compare prices and find the best deal.
Self-storage units offer many advantages over storing items at home:
- They free up much-needed space that we need to live and function.
- Aesthetically, fewer objects within our home will be better mentally for us as clutter can create confusion and stress. There is nothing to compare with a clear mind and the ability to focus and not be distracted by the unnecessary clutter around us.
- The decluttering process preserves items from ending up broken. Self-storage units are ideal if you have children or animals to worry about as there is always a risk of them damaging your possessions.
- Items can be protected from an obvious theft risk because of the enhanced security systems storage units provide, including restricted entry to facilities. This does not compromise 24/7 access for those storing objects there.
- Temperature and humidity-controlled units protect the most sensitive of our items from storage damage. You will know which ones they are.
Build a storage shed
If you have excess items and some extra space in your backyard, consider building a storage shed. This is a great way to declutter your home and keep your excess stuff out of sight. Plus, it can be a great DIY project!
Get rid of your excess stuff
The best way to deal with excess stuff is to simply get rid of it. This may seem like an obvious solution, but many people are reluctant to do this because they think they may need their excess stuff someday. However, chances are you’ll never use most of your excess stuff, so it’s best to just get rid of it.
There are several ways to deal with excess stuff, and the best solution will depend on your situation. However, by following the tips above, you can declutter your home and get rid of your excess stuff without breaking the bank. Above all, you might want to consider a self-storage unit when there is a special offer running.