One of my favourite meals has always been lemon chicken. I love how versatile it is, it goes perfectly with chips, wedges, roast potatoes, rice, cous cous or salad. I’ve often made it in the oven but for those days where I don’t want to cook after the school run, I’ve adapted the recipe for the slow cooker. Pop it on before you go to work and return to a beautifully lemon and herb scented kitchen and home cooked meal ready to serve.
I’m using basil in this recipe, basil is famous for its delicious aroma and warm peppery flavour. It’s such a great herb that can be used to flavour a variety of foods including soup, salads, sauces, main meals and desserts. With its peppery undertones and earthy aromas, this versatile flavour enhancer doesn’t overpower other tastes, making it the perfect accompaniment to combinations of herbs like rosemary and oregano. Or in the case of this recipe, it combines incredibly well with lemon. Basil is also known for its relaxant and digestive properties, perfect for after a stressful day at work.
I have done the recipe below for 4 people so obviously you can change the portions as needed.
- 500g carrots
- 4 chicken breasts
- 500ml chicken stock
- Lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp dried basil
Lemon chicken recipe
- Chop 500g of carrots and place at the bottom of your slow cooker
- Mix 500ml chicken stock with the juice from 1 lemon and 1 tablespoon of dried basil. I used Schwartz dried basil as it is picked and dried on the same day to ensure freshness and it’s fairtrade too.
- Layer the chicken breasts on top of the carrots in the slow cooker
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper
- Pour over the mixed stock
Leave to cook in the slow cooker, according to your cooker timings. I leave mine on the low setting if I’m going to be out all day and put on in the morning. If I’m in, I will put on the high setting for 4 hours
- I also put the remainder of the lemon in the slow cooker to further marinate but this is optional and may be too strong of a lemon flavour for some
- If you would like a more substantial meal and not need to cook anything to go with it when you get in, layer some potatoes under the carrots too