carbon monoxide awareness

This week is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week.

Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the silent killer as it can’t be seen, tasted and is odourless. According to the NHS, over 200 people go to hospital every year with suspected poisoning and 40 of these result in death.

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal or wood do not burn fully. When a fire burns in an enclosed space, the oxygen is gradually used up and replaced with carbon dioxide. The fuel is unable to burn fully and releases carbon monoxide.

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include dizziness, headaches, nausea, shortness of breath, tiredness and confusion.

It is important to get treated as soon as possible by accessing your GP or Accident and Emergency Department at your local hospital.

Installing a CO alarm in your house is an easy way to prevent CO poisoning in your home. This will detect a leak and give out a warning alarm if gas levels are high.

For more information, take a look at The Corgi Homeplan, How Safe Is Your Home.

I have a CO alarm to giveaway worth £40, to enter click on the link below x


Carbon Monoxide Alarm


68 Comments on Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week

  1. For the people who commented on the previous post, I have noted your names down so the entries still count. Sorry, the post was deleted when transferring hosts. Thanks for entering x

  2. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas and, as such, it is very difficult to detect and can easily be inhaled without you realising. Being exposed to high concentration levels can be fatal or cause several other long-term health problems such as brain damage. According to NHS statistics, every year in the UK, over 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, and around 40 people die.

  3. I know i should have one of these alarms but I always forget about until I read an article about it and I think,”I must get one of those” then promptly forget about it.I think I will have to win one !

  4. I’m ashamed to say that when my landlord gave me a detector, the battery in it was dying, so it kept making an awful beeping noise. I took the battery out and it’s now at the back of a cupboard somewhere.

  5. I think it should be law for all rental properties to have a working carbon monoxide alarm. We make sure our kids have them at their uni accommodation

  6. Every house should have a CO Monitor because it is colourless and odourless. Although CO symptoms include nausea, headaches, dizziness etc there is a very real possibility that you will not know about a CO leak until it is too late

  7. Don’t have one, but know everyone should. Thanks for the chance to win. Good luck everyone & have a safe Christmas x

  8. I have been told very recently why this is so important to get one of these as the gas is odourless colourless we should be aware of the risks.

  9. I think it’s so important to have one of these and if it’s cost that puts people off, just think, is your life worth more than £40? Yes? Then go and get one!


  11. Not enough people know about the dangers of carbon monoxide. Thankyou for helping to educate others of the dangers.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.