Lucas went for a settling in session at his childminders yesterday so I used the time to myself to bake us an Easter cake. I frosted it once he got home though so that is a bit roughly done as he was trying to climb up my leg whilst I was doing it x
Chocolate Easter Cake
- 175g margarine or softened butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 150g self-raising flour, sifted
- 50g of cocoa, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 150g icing sugar, sifted
- 220g butter
- 70g cocoa, sifted
- Mini eggs
- Creme egg
- Heat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease an 8 inch round cake tin with a little butter/margarine and cut a piece of greaseproof paper to line the base of the tin.
- Put all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until smoothly combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin, smooth the top and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 45-50 minutes. I insert a knife in the middle to check, if it comes out clean, the cake is done. The top of the cake should also spring back when lightly pressed.
- Let the cake sit in the tin for 5 minutes, then gently run a knife around the edge and turn the cake out to cool.
- Put all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and blend together using an electric whisk.
- I piped the frosting onto the cake once it had cooled and finished by topping it with mini eggs and a cut up creme egg.